Selfless Sewing


 Hi Friends,


So tell me, do you ever do some selfless sewing?

I hate to admit for me it is a rare occasion that I will sew for anyone else, especialllyyy if they are not compensating me for my time. However, in the last couple of months I have started sewing for my husband, and … it feels ok. Lol. I wouldn’t say I get the warm fuzzies sewing for him just yet, but as I sew more and more and my own wardrobe start to over-flowith, it is admittedly nice to make some nice pieces for those I care about. Or at least one person I care about. Haha.


This is McCalls M6613, a unisex collared button up shirt. I got it because it was. Palmer Pletsch pattern with a focus on fit, and I thought that would be nice to use as a starting point for sewing the hubs a shirt, since you know.. I had never made one for him before. Unfortunately he wasn’t really around when I was sewing it, so it was a bit difficult to take advantage of all the pattern had to offer in terms of fit guidance, and I took a couple liberties to just decide on fit adjustments based on how I know he’s built.



All in all, he like a slim fit, and I think this shirt came out really well. He mentioned that the armpit area could be dropped a little and a little width could be added to the sleeves, both otherwise was very happy with the fit and overall look. I agree. He wearing it with some slim fit slacks and leash boots and I would be proud for him to go into work and let everyone know, that’s a Kten original. Lol.



I have made a number of collared shirts in my day, and this one came together pretty easy. As I alluded to, there is a wealth of information regarding fit adjustments you can make to the pattern, so if you need a little bit of guidance in that department, this would be an excellent pattern for you. As I mentioned, though there are still a few more fit adjustments to go before absolute perfection (assuming my husbands body doesn’t not change, which I’m sure it will), they’re really few and far between, and I have no question in my mind that I will be able to knock those out on the next round using the pattern guidance. Another thing I found really appealing about this pattern was the fact that its unisex, so I will be able to use it for myself as well. Pluuuuuus, there are multiple views. The ultimate positive of using big four patterns. They almost always come with lots of views :).


The fabric I chose for this shirt is a cotton/poly shirting, with a tiny check pattern. The shades of blue and white fit perfectly into my husbands wardrobe, so I knew he was going to love and wear this shirt once it was all done. The fabric was super easy to work with, it took a press well, and is nice and crisp but also lightweight, just like you would want for a classic collared shirt. I was a little worried that I was going to be setting myself up for annoyance with the checks, but because they are so tiny, you really don’t have to go through big pains to line them up- meaning, if they get off kilter a little bit it’s not a big deal. Plus, I did the trick I always do, which is put details pieces (like pockets) on the bias, so you don’t have to worry about lining them up at all. I know there is a massive camp out there, that likes their pockets to be invisible, bit quite frankly I don’t see the point. People rarely use breast pockets to hold anything, so if they are not there to be seen, what are they there for?? Hmm? Riddle me that friends. Lol.



Anyways, thank you always for reading along on my sewing adventures.  So tell me, do you sew for your loved ones? If so what are your favorite things to make them??


Kten

Comments