If I'm wearing camo, can you even see mee??

Hi Friends,

I have had this cardigan pattern in my pattern stash for… I’m not even sure how long. I remember thinking it was the perfect oversized nonchalant cardigan when I bought it, and I was right, but for whatever reason I never made it until now. Incidentally when I first ordered this fabric, I did not think I was going to be using it for M6803. I had a Monroe turtleneck (by Tessuti) in my head. However when it arrived, it had less stretch than I was anticipating and just overall a more second-layer kind of vibe than a first layer one.


So I racked my brain for the perfect pattern, and what do you know… M6803 shot out of my pattern stash like the shinning star that it is and told me “it’s time, friend” and it was. Once I had the pattern picked out, putting this one together was incredibly fast and easy. Because the fabric already has a solid drape, I skipped interfacing any of the pieces and went straight to construction. I wanted this cardigan to be slouchy and have a kind of 90’s throwback feel.


 
In fact, I’m pretty sure I had a very similar cardigan to this when I was in third grade, except it was pastel pink. Times have changed, lol.

 

Fit wise, I could tell that it was going to epically long on me, so I made the smallest size and then took off 2” from the length of the body, which I think turned out perfect. I wish I would have done the same with the sleeves, because I didn’t and they are astronomically long on me (like probably 2” too long), in these pictures I have the cuffs tucked up. Surely this is an adjustment I’ll make on the next version. The fabric technically doesn’t have enough stretch for this pattern either, but because the style is so baggy it really didn’t matter. The only problem this created, was that I couldn’t get the ends of the sleeves to comfortably fit in the cuffs. To solve this problem, I just tapered them, which actually ended up making the sleeves fit me really nicely. I think having them a little slimmer than intended is actually quite nice against the oversized body.

 

The pattern calls for buttons, and I was going to sew on some giant matte black snaps I have, but honestly, once the whole thing was sewn up, I put it on and haven’t stopped wearing it for long enough to put the snaps on… so that’s probably never going to happen. Lol



Let’s talk a little about the fabric itself. I ordered it from one of my faaaves, Minerva (.com). I was drawn to it, because A it looked cozy and B I liked the look of the pattern with the black/grey scale. It felt very winter chic to me. When it arrived and I saw it as yardage instead of just a picture on the screen I realized it was digital camo print, which for whatever reason my brain did not connect from just the pictures alone. It wasn’t what I was expecting but I still really like it. Its super soft and is nice a thick without being bulky. Because of the colors it goes with everything and secretly in my mind, I’m always replaying a joke that no one can see me when I’m wearing it because I’m camouflaged, hehehe.

 

So what do you think? Do you like my invisible cloak? Do you have any surprise sewing projects that you have been wearing nonstop since you made them? What’s on your ‘to sew’ list these days? Are you still making cozy winter styles or starting to move onto spring inspiration? Tell me all the things friends!

Kten





















Comments