Anthropologie Inspired Velvet Dream

Hi Friends,

How's it going in your neck of the woods??  Things around here have been good. It's starting to get warm in NYC and that means that it's almost sleeveless shirt weather :o).  For those of you that have found me on instagram (@jinxandgunner) you may have already seen this top.  I threw it together one snowy day, when I was in the deep depths of winter denial and feeling inspired by something I had seen at Anthropologie:

 

Look at that shimmer! I love the way it looks, but I also love the way it feels.  It's poly stretch velvet, that I got at one of my local fabric stores for $4/yd.  The velvet is nice and thick, but also super synthetic, so it's kind of the perfect time to wear it.  Now and fall, summer will definitely be too hot.


I don't know if you guys recognize it, but this is the Isla Sewing Pattern by Made By Rae.  I was tester for this pattern last year and I have posted a couple iterations of this pattern already on here.  Isla I & II.  I love this pattern for how quick and easy it is, but also because it's an easy wardrobe piece to adapt.  I've worn this top to work with dress pants and on the weekend with jeans.


As I said, this is a super easy pattern to throw together, and I made it even easier by finishing the neck with a quick turn down and stitch.  The pattern instructs you finish the neck with a band (pattern piece included), but because I was using stretch velvet, I thought it would look a little nicer if it was more streamline.  Now looking at the pictures, it probably would have looked fine with the band, especially since I finished the arms with bands.  What do you think?  All opinion welcome here at chez Jinx & Gunner.

 

To give you a little teaser for what I hope to share next week, I received a piece of this buttery soft poly chiffon from M & J Fabrics in Jackson Heights, NY to review.  What do you guys think I should make?  I have one yard to play with... I'm thinking maybe something with a 'cold shoulder':


As always, thanks for stopping by!

Kten

Comments