NewLook 6644, starting the new year off cozy




First and foremost, HAPPY NEW YEAR Friends!!!  It’s been a crazy couple of years, and I’m hoping 2022 will bring some normalcy, but you know, even if it doesn’t, we still always have sewing.  Am I right or am I right?? :)


If you’ve been following my sewing adventures for any amount of time you probably know that I like digging into big beefy statement pieces, but what you probably also know is that I equally love sewing the things that actually get worn every day.  



This sweatshirt is clearly the latter, and boy has it gotten a ton of wear since I made it.  I love it for it’s streamline silhouette, but in my opinion, the fabric elevates it just a smidge.  It has a really nice hand, and the print is so clean and modern looking.  I’m not sure if it would be appropriate to say that ‘faces’ are a ‘trend’, but up until recently I was working in Manhattan, and I feel like I was seeing my fair amount of face prints on passerby’s clothing. 



The fabric itself is nice and thick, but has two way stretch and a white minky fur-back that makes the inside of my sweatshirt extra cozy, but somehow it doesn’t feel too thick or bulky at all.  Once the 30 and 20 degree (Fahrenheit) weather hit, it’s been a total no brainer wardrobe staple.  


              


When I was tracing off my pattern, I started by tracing off the smallest size, which is generally my go to, but when I was eyeing the sleeve and considering the thickness of this sweat shirting, I decided that I should size up, and I think that decision really paid off.



I love that the end result is a streamline looking sweatshirt.  It definitely still has an oversized sweatshirt feel, but I also feel like its not so big that it feels like I’m lounging around all day.  Does that make sense?



The pattern I chose was New Look 6644 and before we get into it, can we just take a moment to appreciate sewing a NewLook Pattern for the new year?  New Year, new look! Maybe I should be in marketing, lol. 




Anyways, getting back to it… this pattern was a total breeze as well. I thought the v-neck might present a couple challenges, but honestly, I just followed the instructions step by step and made sure to properly mark my pattern pieces, and what do ya know- it came out really nicely.  Aside from some basting and top stitching, I zipped the entire thing through my serger, which is my favorite way to handle knits, but the few times I did pass this through my regular machine, it fed through nice and easily, so I definitely think anyone that doesn’t have a serger would have no problem with this fabric.  Its heart makes it a pretty stable sew as well, inspite of it being a knit. Definitely I’m excited to make this shirt again, probably with a thinner knit to see how the fit comes out in the smaller size.  I can absolutely see this becoming a go to pattern in my stash. I really really love, that I already have two sizes traced out.  I also want to try cutting it down the middle at some point and using this a starting point for a cardigan.  How cool would that be.



Additionally…you may have noticed that New Look 6644 comes with a pants pattern as well… and before you go thinking I totally ignored them.  Nope! I already have fabric waiting in the wings for them… I feel like they are going to be epic, but you’ll just have to wait and see. :)



 


Happy stitching friends!

Kten

Comments