Sometimes you want to dress like a cloud


I'll be honest the Array top/dress by Papercut patterns was never really a pattern on my radar and at this point, I have so many patterns that something has to really catch my eye for me to consider purchasing another one. So this time around I actually have a fellow IG posting sewer to thank for the inspiration of this top.  Jenna of NeverNotKnitting78, posted a beautiful version in a double gauze and that's what got my mind racing.

  

I already had some double gauze yardage in my stash that I bought as a souvenier during a trip to Japan, that I never quite had a project in mind for.  So when I saw Jenna's make I knew that was what it was meant to be.  In my mind nothing would do justice to my milky-grey double gauze than a shirt that would literally look like a cloud.

Double gauze is  so plush and fluffy and breezy but weighty, its almost like its everything and nothing all at once.  So to me it has always presented a bit of a challenge in terms of what exactly I should make from it.  With fall on the way when I saw Jenna's inspiration post, I thought a long sleeve double gauze shirt might be a perfect addition to my wardrobe.

Going off Jenna's make I knew I wanted it to be cinched in at the waist, but I also wanted it to have a thick meaningful piece of elastic in the hem, given the option between a chunky detail and a more delicate details, I'll generally go chunky 8/10.  So when I cut out my shirt pattern pieces, just to be safe, I gave myself a little extra beyond the shirt cutting line.  I literally sewed everything up, put in the elastic and everything and then decided the length was all wrong.  The shirt as it stands now is just barely cropped, and when I initially finished it, it came down to my high hip.  It wasn't a baaaad look, but somehow it just wasn't giving me the cloud vibes I got from the inspiration. In the end I ended up shortening it 1.5" from the original shirt hem line (the one I added to) and the hem took up 2" including a .5" under-fold so there were no raw edges exposed.  

I generally air on the side of caution, because even though I'm shorter than the average human at 5'2.5", I think I have a long-ish torso proportionally?  Either way, I clearly didn't need the extra in this case.

 

So that's it, but by time it was all said and done, it's now too cold to bear my stomach, even if its just for little glimpses, so I think I'll be wearing it with a tank underneath until spring.  I think the layering look works well with it though, so all in all I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  Plus, who doesn't like living in a cloud??


What's your most recent make??


Kten 






 






















  


Comments