The Best Boiler Suit

Hey guys, 

What's happening.  How's life?  Big question of the moment, how do you keep up with blogging and reading blogs?  I used to be a sewing blog reader die-hard. I had bloglovin' downloaded on my phone and before I would get into the subway to start my commute I would open like 5 blogs or so, so I had reading for the rest of my no-service commute. I think reading all those blogs is what kept me motivated to update (and post on) my own blog because I wanted to be a part of that amazing community and sharing frenzy.  Then at some point bloglovin  stopped running well on my phone, and it would take foooooorever to load blogs, so it became impossible to get enough loaded in time on my walk to the subway and that was that folks.  By then I think I had already started an Instagram account which I'm also not good at updating, but I do in fact get pictures up there from time to time more frequently than I get projects up here. So, I would like to hear what keeps you reading blogs and motivated to post for yourself?



Irregardless, I'm here today and I want to throw up some additional pics to the ones I already posted on my IG (@jinxandgunner ). I had done some pattern testing for Alice and Co and in exchange I was given a free pattern from their line up.  I knew with 200% certainty that I wanted their boiler suit.  Boiler suits have been a big thing recently and I really wanted to make my own perfect version for myself.  This became a large project for me during the spring. What makes a large project? At this point in my sewing life, it's something that I'm 'designing' at the same time that I'm sewing it.  Something that I keep chipping away at and then putting down to contemplate and then picking back up, rinse and repeat. This was definitely one of those projects for me.  

I had scraps of black and natural denim and some black and white Alexander Henry Usagi bunny quilting cotton that I was obsessed with when I bought it (and still am), but knew it wasn't something that would translate well for just any garment project.

In the end, I felt like I still needed a little bit more because I was limited on the denim and wanted to be restrained with the print, so I introduced some silver semi-glittery (its a subtle glitter) canvas I think I had a half or quarter yard of.  I knew I wanted that scrappy look, but for me there is a fine line between becky-homecky as Michael Kors would say and the edgy amazingness I had pictures in my head.  The zipper was a lucky find.  I had salvaged it from one of those plastic bed sheet container things bedding comes in.  It's definitely not the highest quality zipper, but aesthetically it's a perfect match and I knew I was likely to wear this over a tank/cami anyways.


I made a couple sketches in procreate... which are comical.  Lol, I'm so glad I'm a better pattern drafter and sewer than I am an illustrator and in the end I came up with the combo that you see today, except without the double pockets. My original version just had the natural denim back pockets. However, after seeing everything together, I was looking at the front and the back, flipping back and forth, and somehow the back just needed more.  I asked the hubs opinion and of course he was against it a double pocket overlay (between simple and complicated, he normally chooses simple), but when I got that conflicting opinion I knew the double pockets were my winner.  Sometimes you just need a contradictory opinion to solidify how dedicated you are to an idea.

  


The last piece of the puzzle? I reaaalllly wanted to find an old broken down truck to take pictures with.  Luckily for me my husband is awesome, and was happy (ok, maybe just content) to drive around with me and find a broken down truck on the side of the road to take pictures with.  Lol.  Maybe I've flipped through one too many Vogue's in my life, but what can I say, I'm a sucker for an editorial lewk.

Anyways, thanks for reading friends,

Kten



Comments