Tweed Coating, Penny Pinafore I

The Penny Pinafore is a dress/apron/smock that caught my eye the minute it was released and really for that reason, that it’s just so unique.  Is it a dress, is it an apron, is it something else in between?  In reality (IMO) its a mix of all three.  Neither just dress, just apron or just other.  This was released after the Otis Overalls and I can definitely see the resemblance, and I think that’s part of what makes this pattern so unique looking- its part dungarees. 



I had been keeping an eye out for fabrics that I thought would be suitable for the a Penny pinafore and when I saw this poly coating on Minerva’s website, I thought I would give it a shot.  Generally I have found that mid weight coatings, can be useful for bottom weight apparel and I figured this one should be no exception.  



As always, I was not disappointed when this fabric arrived, it was so squishy, and it is suuuuuuuppper soft. I think I even caught my husband giving it a coveting glance or two and I will admit I had a couple moments of indecision when I contemplated making it into a lofty cardigan or cozy top, but in the end I decided that a winter appropriate pinafore was equally useful in my wardrobe.  Also I really  just wanted to see it come to fruition.  I will say, that this coating does have a bit of one way stretch, that perhaps didn’t lend itself perfectly to some of the pattern hacks I did with my version of the pinafore, and maybe it would have indeed been better suited for a top or top extended into a dress, but, whatever, it still works pretty great as is as well.



So there were a number of things I really liked about the Penny as is, and there were a couple things I knew I wanted to change to really make it feel perfectly ‘me’.  The things I really liked about this pinafore/apron dress that was unique to others I have seen was: 


  1. The gathered back.  I have this thing, where I’m not against zippers, but I’m often drawn to garments that find creative ways to close without introducing zippers.  I don’t really know how to explain it, but sometimes, zippers just feel too easy?  Not like, easy from a construction standpoint, but easy from a design standpoint I guess.  So anyways, if a pattern finds a creative way to close, you’ll often find me giving it a second look
  2. The length options.  I liked that there was a long and short version, which in the pattern is termed the dress and apron version.  This one that I made is the apron version, except I didn’t hem it because I realized this coating doesn’t fray at all, so I didn’t need to.  Originally when I was conceptualizing what I wanted it to look like, I thought I wanted to do a more dramatic high/low hem, which part of me still wants to do, but I also kind of like the hem length as it it on me.  At a whopping 5’2.5”, the apron length feels pretty appropriate as a dress, but I could also still wear it over jeans, which is what I originally intended to do.  I have a suspicion that if I did cut this into a high low, I wouldn’t regret it… but since I like it this way too, I’m hesitant to make any changes right now… but who knows what the future may hold! 
  3. The volume in the back created by the addition of two godets.  I loved how swishy the back is, and knew this was something I was going to want to incorporate into the front as well.
  4. The crossed back straps.  The pattern only has two straps that cross, which I liked, but I also thought 4 might be even better.   With the extra straps added and interlaced, it kind of reminds me of the pastry top of pies… and who doesn’t like pie?! Lol.

OK, so those were all things I really liked about the pattern as is, so I knew I was going to be incorporating those elements, but there were also changes that I wanted to make, just to make it feel more me. These included:


  1. I wanted to lower the neck and change the shape. Like really lower it, to the point that it was nearing my bust apex. This is a dress I always intend on wearing over something so we don’t have to be shy here. 
  2. I wanted to add more fullness to the skirt in the front and sides to mirror the fullness in the back.  
  3. I wanted to make it high/low- which I didn’t end up doing, but may still do? Or may not. Let me know if you have an opinion in the comments.
  4. I wanted more straps so I could have that interlacing effect and also so they would feel less boxy.

 


I had a vision of wearing it over jeans and a long sleeve tee, in a very Sew Liberated way.  Clearly in the end I realized it also looks really good over tights and boots as well. :)


OK as always I feel like this post has gotten really long already, so I’m going to put the ‘making of’ into a separate post.  Join me there after pouring yourself another cup of tea/coffee!



Kten



Comments